Texas Tech University, College of Architecture

partner

When legislation was introduced in 1923, several legislators began to question if a branch of Texas A&M was the best answer for public higher education in the West Texas region. On January 25, 1923, a bill creating Texas Technological College was introduced by Senator W. H. Bledsoe, Representatives Lewis Carpenter, and Richard Chitwood. Texas Technological College became a reality when Governor Pat M. Neff signed the bill on February 10, 1923.



A site committee was sent out to look for a home for this new college. The site committee visited West Texas towns looking for the right setting for the Texas Technological College campus to be placed. The Lubbock community made sure they gave the committee a warm reception. People lined the streets as the committee's car drove by. The committee was so impressed by Lubbock that the city was chosen on the first ballot as the home for Texas Tech. When Lubbock found out about receiving this honor they planned a huge party. The celebration that was held August 28th hosted 30,000 guests, even though the population of Lubbock was only a few thousand at the time. In 1925 classes opened with 914 students.



After many prosperous years of being a college, the students, and faculty believed that the name Texas Technological College no longer represented the mission of an institution with undergraduates and graduates in diverse subjects. Several name changes were proposed, including Texas State University. Texas State University was actually preferred by students and faculty members. However, Alumni and the Board of Directors wanted to make sure that the double T symbol would remain the school emblem, so Texas Tech University was proposed.



The name change was such a big issue that students held rallies and marched against the name Texas Tech University. One student stated in a letter to the University Daily "Tech to me is a coined word and does not dignify this fine institution." Even after large rallies and several votes by students to change the name of Texas Technological College to Texas State University, the board did not seem to listen. In 1969 the board pulled a surprise move, after KTXT and the University Daily had suspended operation due to finals, the board unanimously voted to change the name to Texas Tech University. In late June, Preston Smith signed the bill changing the name to Texas Tech University.
Partners Website:
Related Projects:
Mesa Verde