Often considered the birthplace of Queensland's military history, Fort Lytton is a coastal fortress that served as Brisbane's front line of defense from 1881 through the end of the 1930s. The pentagonal fortress was surrounded by a water-filled moat and concealed behind grassy embankments, making Fort Lytton a prime example of a nineteenth century garrison. The fort's strategic location by the mouth of the Brisbane River was designed for better support and protection of the river mines, and to defend the Port of Brisbane against enemy attacks.
After World War II, Fort Lytton was replaced by more modern batteries and the site was abandoned. In 1963, the Ampol petroleum refining company obtained the site, and ownership was transferred to the Queensland Government in 1988. Fort Lytton has since become a national park under the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service, protecting an important link to Queensland's military past.
CyArk has partnered with CSIRO, the University of Queensland, and the Queensland Government - Department of Environment and Heritage Protection, and Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service, in the digital documentation of Fort Lytton, where a handheld 3D laser mapping system developed by CSIRO Autonomous Systems, called Zebedee, was utilized. Zebedee can scan an environment continuously as an operator walks through it, producing a 3D map of the environment as well as an accurate record of the trajectory followed. Photographs, animations, and 3D models will soon be available for the public on CyArk's website.