The Azem Palace, located south of the Umayyad mosque was built in 1750 by the Ottoman governor of Damascus As'ad Pasha al-Azem. The palace has two main wings: the haramlik and the salamlik. The family wing, or haramlik, is a private space that is connected to the kitchen and servant quarters. It includes the baths, which are a replica of the public baths in the city but on a smaller scale. The public area reserved for the outside guests, called the salamlik, contains the formal halls, reception areas and exclusive courtyards for entertainment.