Guide

Al Azem Palace

The Azem Palace, located south of the Umayyad mosque was built in 1750 by the Ottoman governor of Damascus As'ad Pasha al-Azem. The palace has two main wings: the haramlik and the salamlik. The family wing, or haramlik, is a private space that is connected to the kitchen and servant quarters. It includes the baths, which are a replica of the public baths in the city but on a smaller scale. The public area reserved for the outside guests, called the salamlik, contains the formal halls, reception areas and exclusive courtyards for entertainment.

Country
Syria
Historical Period
1750 CE
Location
33° 30' 37" N, 36° 18' 26" E
Theme
Open Heritage
Google Arts & Culture

Loading

00:30 / 01:00